Sunday, January 13, 2008

Two Words That Changed My Public Speaking Forever

Two Words That Changed My Public Speaking Forever
By Christopher Carlin


Isn't it ironic that despite the fact that I have read many books, purchased many products and substantially invested in myself, the best public speaking tip that I have received is only two words long? Two very simple words changed my thinking on public speaking more than any textbook, audio or video ever has.


I first heard these two words from James Malinchak, the famous youth, college and inspirational speaker. I have heard it a few times from other speakers since, but James was the first to bring it to my attention.


Are you ready for two words that will change your public speaking forever?


Here they are...


BE YOURSELF!


That's it!


How many times have people told you that when you are on stage you have to improve your vocabulary, or you have to dress up, or you have to stand on the spot? It gets you thinking that you have to be "ultra-professional" on stage. Because of this you usually get nervous thinking about things that don't really matter!


Going back to James Malinchak, I have listened to a few of his audios and he repeatedly states that he is not one of the most technically correct speakers. He says that "the most technically correct and well polished speakers are usually the worst because people don't relate to them. (From Big Money Speaker)"


It is so true!


We relate to people who are like us! When was the last time you related to someone who drives a Ferrari, wears a million dollar suit and never uses words that are less than ten letters long? I never have, and I am guessing that you haven't either. That's because we don't relate to these people..


So when you are on stage, don't pretend to be someone else. Forget about all of the technical aspects of public speaking. Be yourself!


Don't get me wrong, don't scrap technical training altogether. If you do have problems that are having a negative effect on your presentation, then I would seriously consider trying to solve and/or prevent them. For example, I used to(and still do to a lesser extent) rock on stage, and it was making me look like an idiot!


But whatever you do, don't try to change your personality! If you are have an energetic, happy personality, don't try and change it because you are on stage presenting a speech! Let your true personality show. An example for me would be that I don't possess a detailed vocabulary. These articles are about as technical and as hi-tech as I get! I am an Aussie and I always use slang and colloquialisms. (One of my favourite quotes that I use is "I'm Australian born and bred, long in the legs and thick in the head!") So why should I change that when I am on stage? Why should I pretend to be someone else, someone that I am not, when I am public speaking?


So when you are on stage just be yourself. You will find that you are more relaxed, your audience will relate to you more and your message will come across better. Don't try and pretend to be someone you're not just to try and impress your audience, because ninety-nine times out of a hundred you will fail.


BE YOURSELF!


I have been Public Speaking for over six years, and I want to share with you twenty public speaking tips which will enhance your public speaking skills. www.successful-speaking.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Christopher_Carlin http://EzineArticles.com/?Two-Words-That-Changed-My-Public-Speaking-Forever&id=913781

No comments: